The Dwelling Place, a sponsored ministry of The Franciscan Sisters of Allegany, NY, is a privately-funded transitional residence for homeless women located in Midtown Manhattan.
Since 1977, we’ve provided shelter, sustenance and support to thousands of women. Our safe, healing, and structured environment offers women the space and time to develop a sustainable plan for building a healthy, independent lifestyle. Whether you’re here as a donor or a volunteer, or as a woman seeking shelter, we hope that The Dwelling Place will find a special place in your heart.
We live the mission of The Dwelling Place through our daily commitment to:
- Be a voice for women who cannot be heard: the homeless, the hungry, the hurting.
- Welcome each and every woman as a guest: regardless of her race, religion or background.
- Offer hot meals and shelter from the cold: with love, respect and compassion.
- Provide the services that support independence: through advocacy, education and collaboration.
- Create a safe place for women to reenergize, refresh, and renew as they rebuild their lives.
At any given time 15 women call The Dwelling Place home. Each woman and her case manager work on an Individualized Service Plan that is unique to their goals. The plan is coupled with support and guidance to help women build a sustainable and self-supported life. The staff offers a range of services to fulfill each woman’s individual needs while nurturing their unique talents.
- a comfortable and safe place to call her own
- three meals each day with an emphasis on healthy eating
- individual guidance offered by an assigned case manager
- partnerships with medical and mental health providers
- linkage with a workforce development program
- referrals for professional counseling and day treatment programs
- money management
- nightly groups
- assistance in finding personal housing
- group activities such as yoga and art